[HCoop-Discuss] Misconcenptions about the deposit requirement

j.c.hallgren at juno.com j.c.hallgren at juno.com
Mon Feb 18 22:18:10 EST 2008

After reading all the emails about this, I now see that I may have misunderstood some things, which is fine...and some of the ideas given since would help in this, such as getting some sort of a minimal email "bill" every month...even with as a minimum only the remaining balance. This should be fairly easy to do and then we can check into portal for details as to amounts billed/added if desired. This alone may help just a tad in keeping our balances more positive.

Also, I think it was how the portal balance info was shown that added to confusion, as there was no total of the two amounts, showing my effective total. In future, I think this needs to be done when we change to other methods.

And as stated, when a member goes to a totally negative balance and then vanishes, that's not fair to the rest of us, so beginning some process to block that is definitely a good thing...my main concern was about others of us who just wish to keep as small a positive balance here as needed, as since HCoop isn't a FDIC bank or mega-utility, which doesn't mean that I don't have faith in my fellow members but one never knows what may occur.

I do acknowledge that for a while when the setup of new servers was dragging on and on with no apparent progress to this novice, I let my balance get quite low simply as a minor variant of a protest and indication of my uncertainty or unhappiness, but I DID realize that I owed for the fyodor expenses and was more than willing to pay that as needed.

Having some way to contact members via means other than email should be a requirement, IMO, such as current telephone (or ICQ, Skype, etc) which would make sure that user was actually contacted at last resort which a postal mailing may not...that's part of reason that I'd be easy to locate, given the number of places that I'm listed on web...others may be very hard to trace down, and thus harder to collect from, so that may something we need to improve on, even if the info is not available to everyone publically, but just the admins.

Anyway, that's just some more of my thoughts on this whole thing.