[HCoop-Discuss] Cracking down on negative balances

Steve Taylor staylor at ncf.ca
Mon Feb 18 19:14:53 EST 2008

Michael Potter <mpotter at hcoop.net> writes:

> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 21:19 +0200, Omry Yadan wrote:
>> Booting people with zero balance is fine.
>> preventing service from people who have 3 months worth of payments is
>> not fine.
> <SNIP>
>> That's what I think, anyway.
>>
>>     Omry.
>
> Omry,
>
> As discussed before, in practice, a significant number of people quietly
> vanished, went negative, and the rest of us were picking up their tab.
> The only practical solution is to raise the bar, hence the new balance
> requirement.
>
> Michael Potter

"As discussed before" but unseen by some, including Omry.

Can the board backtrack enough to present a clear picture of the new
policy? That is, can we get an e-mail from the board to hcoop-announce
giving

- a brief explanation of the problem
- a proposed solution, including effective date after at least 30 days
- feedback period in [hcoop-discuss]

Can we get a second e-mail, board to hcoop-announce, when the policy
comes into effect.

Can we have an option to receive a monthly statement?

Can the portal page show an explanation for the ( a NEW gif) change
that emphasizes "this change will save you money" and "unused funds
refunded on request."

I agree with the general response: sudden change in the apparent
balances on the members portal causes confusion and leaves the
impression of a price increase.

I hope other readers will take time to contribute and to read.

Thank you once again to the volunteers giving their time to make this
work.

Stephen Taylor/duoduo on IRC Freenode #hcoop