[HCoop-Discuss] [docelic, ntk] Cracking down on negative balances

docelic docelic at mire.hcoop.net
Mon Feb 18 18:55:37 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 04:25:32PM -0500, John T. Settino wrote:

> As a member
> since 2003, I've never really liked the idea of balances and shares but
> this is how our coop is run and my sole opinion doesn't hold a lot of
> clout. I've already been told on other issues that I should leave the
> coop if I don't like the changes being made, but it is not my desire to
> do so. Certain conversations about certain issues, I've received
> care what you think and it doesn't matter whether you like it or not. If
> you don't, leave, we won't care." Makes me feel welcome.

Great that you brought this point up. I think about it every once in a
while. Let me explain how I see the situation (my general view, not
related to your specific post):

All HCoop members are equal and "own" HCoop in equal
proportion. From that perspective, everyone is a member in its own
right, "owns" its part the house, and should not be concerned by
whether he or she is welcome by other members. (Whether a member is
'welcome' does not affect his HCoop experience in any way, for better or
for worse -- therefore it should be irrelevant).

A member should only be concerned with whether HCoop is fulfilling his
technical needs. (All other good aspects of HCoop being extra pluses, of
course).

This is what it boils down to, in my opinion.

Also, to keep HCoop structurally and technically healthy, not buying
into "blackmails" or individual people's unacceptable behavior should be
a matter of principle. And I also think that HCoop has managed to do that
with impecable record, thanks primarily to Adam Chlipala.

If you take a look at the individual members who have left HCoop, few
of them left on technical grounds. Others were trying to exert power
that neither them nor any other member have over HCoop. Then, after
seeing that there was absolutely no interest from HCoop in buying into
their games, they threw the whole "unwelcome" story, they tried to bring it
to a personal level, and they (in)directly claimed they left "because of
this or that particular person". When in fact, they left because they filed
a Bugzilla request to close their account.

As long as we stick to the principle of not getting personal, even if
it means giving and receiving though love, HCoop will be doing great,
and will by-the-way help everyone member be a stronger person. (I'm
fascinated by people's fragile egos these days, but it's a story for
some other time).

To give an example of how superior this approach is and how no member
is given special privileges, I will mention this:

A few years ago, when we were thinking of the next round of expansion
(Fyodor era), I offered hosting for HCoop machines here. The answer I
received was direct: this could be an option IF I am able
to guarantee I would continue providing hosting even if I was evicted
out of HCoop as a member. As said, though love, but aimed at superior
results.

-doc