[HCoop-Discuss] Draft data confidentiality policies

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Mon Feb 18 16:37:17 EST 2008

Hello everyone, I am back in New York now although I am dog-tired and
frazzled as has probably come through in the poor editing of my previous
two emails just now.

Frank, thanks so much for your feedback on the first policy, I will
definitely review it in more detail later.  Some of the wording feedback
looks like exactly what I was looking for.  I didn't necessarily want to
call it an "Anti-FISA policy," that was a temporary descriptive name for it.

Although without reading your feedback in detail it looks like you may
have misinterpreted my intention before you got to the privacy policy.

Right now we have no official written privacy, confidentiality,
"cooperation with government" or other really basic policies which are
may be a PITA and seem like so much red tape to laypersons but you
realize how important they are.  The "Anti-FISA" policy was intended to
put a very weak floor on behavior that HCoop will tolerate; basically to
oppose and not cooperate with any illegal government investigation.  It
purposely leaves open the situations where we may cooperate and how we
will do so in the absence of either an illegal government investigation
or where it would be illegal for us to render the requested assistance.

That is left to a much longer privacy policy.  I split it up like that
because I think we can all quickly agree on the basic minimums of the
Anti-FISA policy, once we get it written down appropriately.

Whereas the exact situations where we may or may not want to disclose
one thing or another or cooperate in one or another way and so on get
quite technical and may be controversial.  We can pass the "Anti-FISA"
policy at least (under another name) while we work out the details of
the privacy policy.

By the way as to 5 and what mechanism is used for removal; a board
policy can't override the by-laws.  According to our bylaws, to remove a
boardmember or expel an HCoop member currently requires a 2/3 membership
vote (other than the non-paying-for-3-months member situation)--for
expelling a member, it has to be initiated by the board for cause.
Perhaps that is too hard.  But we have to consider changing this
carefully.  If we enable the board or even an authorized staff member to
start expelling members for certain kinds of wrongdoing, we have to
consider whether we trust that person to act as fact-finder and
executioner.  The reason I wrote the 2/3 member vote policy in the
bylaws was a nod to the concerns of those regarding centralization of
power in a "cabal" and preventing arbitrary and capricious expulsion of
classes of people on a pretext.

Perhaps as the co-op and the board both become larger we can streamline
the process and trust the board more as long as we implement a
standardized process of investigation and appeals.  But for now I think
we can just have a system whereby the board conducts an investigation
and decides if expulsion is merited, and then presents the facts to the
membership to vote on it.

In the case of employees or contractors, all that would be needed
currently is a board vote.

Anyway I may not be able to do too much for the next couple of days
until I get caught up with various other responsibilities that I need to
take care of.