[HCoop-Discuss] Draft data confidentiality policies

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Wed Feb 13 21:57:09 EST 2008

Steve Taylor wrote:
> This is off-the-wall but is there any feasibility, security, advantage
> in storing the information on an out-of-country location, like Tech
> Coop in Vancouver?

If you mean "can we evade attempts by American authorities to get to
confidential information by putting it offshore" then the simple answer
is not really.

There is of course an open question of whether it might be harder to
illicitly intercept or gather information illegally if it is stored in
an overseas jurisdiction.  That may be the case, but it is not testable,
and certainly should not be a driving factor in our purchasing
decisions.  Reasons to favor the Tech Coop or Canadian firms (of which
Peer 1 is one, I might add) may exist independently.  In any event all
of our information is likely to flow through American pipes at some
point anyway.

As long as we are an American corporation doing business in America, if
any American authorities seek out our data through legal means they can
get it from us even if we store it offshore.  If anything storing things
in different countries provides opportunities for influence from more
jurisdictions.  However there are also other advantages to globally
distributing information as well, in terms of redundancy and diversity
that can be be balanced against this.