[HCoop-Discuss] [HCoop-Announce] Mire back up

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Tue Feb 12 20:01:10 EST 2008

> P.S.: I still think hiring paid staff should be pretty high on our to-do
> list, and this kind of incident underscores the benefits.  To me, those
> benefits are definitely worth an even share of a reasonable full-time
> sysadmin's salary.

In our last conversation and since then, I have been starting to be a
little more amenable to having one or two very part-time folks in the
nearer future, although not the immediate future.  This will definitely
need more discussion.

On that note I had done a bit of research into what is involved with
direct hires, and the paperwork is a step up from what we've done so far
but definitely doable.  It's really just getting out there and finding
someone, deciding on affordable compensation and management.  The
paperwork I can handle.

However if we want to hire someone to attend our datacenter in NYC we need
to apply to for authority to conduct business in New York as a foreign
corporation.  Preferably sooner rather than later if we're planning on
doing this within a year's timeframe.

We don't need authority to transact business in New York as we have so far
(constitutionally that's a matter of interstate commerce), but to
_conduct_ business we do.  The line between transacting and conducting is
not bright but having employees in New York would definitely be conducting
business.

The major downside to applying for authority is that we concede that we
are conducting business in New York and must comply with all New York laws
for not-for-profit corporations as of filing.  But if it's inevitable that
we will expand our Peer1 operations and hire employees, then we should
take care of it.

There is a $135 one-time filing application fee.

-Nathan