[HCoop-Discuss] [HCoop-Announce] Mire back up

docelic docelic at mire.hcoop.net
Tue Feb 12 16:50:42 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 12:22:22PM -0800, Steve Johnson wrote:
> On 2/12/08, docelic <docelic at mire.hcoop.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 09:49:52AM -0800, Steve Johnson wrote:
> > > I hate to be a prick about this but,  mire was down 24 hours because
> > > of this?  Maybe we need to come up with a better way of dealing with
> > > mire being down.
> > >
> > > I don't know how others feel, but having my site down for 24 hours
> > > because of a config issue, is real annoying.
> >
> > Your site was down due to this specific issue for about 12 hours.
>
> My mistake, it felt like 24 to me.  Maybe it came back up while I was sleeping..

It was about 24 hours altogether. 12 of which was spent fixing the
specific configuration problem that you've taken to riff on, and it's
taken so long because I had to sleep and Nathan had to arrive at the
colo facility.

> > > And before you all start spatting on about how this is all volunteer,
> > > please don't.. That does not matter when people are paying money every
> > > month..
> >
> > I wouldn't bring attention to the 'volunteer' aspect, but I would bring
> > attention to the non-profit aspect. While technically, you really are
> > 'paying money' to HCoop, it is perfectly clear where the funds go and
> > how they are used.
> >
> > Only with that in mind, can the sentence "when people are paying money
> > every month" be given the appropriate context.
>
> You are wrong here.  The context does no matter. If this kind of
> outages continue, do you think people will continue to pay?  After all
> it is a service, right?

It is perfectly fine for you to stop paying and cancel your membership,
as it is for the majority of users to get together and vote for the
change of the Board structure, the system administrators, or any other
aspect of HCoop's technical or organizational structure.

> > > Yeah, so its only $5, but to have the server down 24 hours
> > > because of a simple config issue..  Not good.
> >
> > First, I would appreciate if our willingness to disclose any and all
> > details regarding technical issues was not used back against us.
>
> That's the nice thing about a coop, at least to the members, no cover
> ups.. Being open about what happens is all part of the deal.  You
> should always expect it to be used against us.

No, I don't and I will not. I've been member of HCoop since 2002 and
things like this have been very rare, and even then they were based on
temporary misunderstanding rather than on general acceptance of such
unnecessary behavior.

-doc