[HCoop-Discuss] 990-N

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sat Feb 2 11:51:08 EST 2008

Adam Chlipala wrote:
> Nathan Kennedy wrote:
>
>> Actually, the IRS website looks like they want to start the 990-N
>> requirement for tax periods starting after December 31, 2006.  Which
>> would mean we would have to file a return for 2007--they just haven't
>> implemented the system yet and expect to some time later this month.
>> Lovely.  Good thing I already started tabulating the numbers for 2007.
>>

> If you're willing to do manual tabulation, then more power to you, but
> you should also tell me exactly which report you want, and I'll
> implement it with SQL queries.  We can check multiple outputs (from
> humans and programs) against each other for consistency.

Having read over all the materials, fortunately we won't need to submit
any numbers, just a declaration that our gross receipts are less than
$25K. The 990-N "e-postcard" just has to include these things:

* Organization’s legal name,
* Any other names your organization uses,
* Organization’s mailing address,
* Organization’s website address (if applicable),
* Organization’s employer identification number (EIN),
* Name and address of a principal officer of your organization,
* Organization’s annual tax period,
* A statement that your organization’s annual gross receipts are still
normally $25,000 or less, and
* If applicable, a statement that your organization is terminating
(going out of business)

So the only issue is which officer's address we want to put down, I
assume either me or you.
>> http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=169250,00.html
>>

> The URL has "charities" in it and still applies to us? O_o

Yeah, it really is about exempt organizations, which usually comes under
/eo not /charities. But it does apply.