[HCoop-Discuss] ByLaws change vote - 40 voters total?

Peter Gammie peteg42 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 02:18:07 EST 2008

Naren:

On 02/02/2008, at 12:34 PM, Narendra Prabhu. B wrote:

> 1) There were good number of emails regarding the ByLaws before the
> election. I could not catch up all of those. Under these conditions,
> my
> judgement would have been based on what other people (majority) would
> choose.
>
> 2) I am of the opinion that most of the HCoopers, will take the
> decisions
> in the best interest of everyone. This confidence might have
> effected my
> availability.

This sounds like epistemic free-riding to me. :-)

http://www.google.com/search?q=epistemic%20free%20riding
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet%27s_jury_theorem

(This is not a criticism, I joined HCoop with the same kind of
reasoning applied to sys admin issues.)

I voted yes because I think it is important to increase the number of
people taking responsibility for HCoop, in order to avoid burnout. I
was and am a bit wary about the undemocratic aspects of the new
bylaws, but - based on a month's membership and some reading of the
mailing list archives - I hope and believe that there is enough
goodwill in the HCoop community that abuse won't be an issue any time
soon.

cheers
peter