[HCoop-Discuss] local advocacy

Adam Megacz megacz at hcoop.net
Wed Apr 30 22:51:09 EDT 2008

"David Crawshaw" <crawshaw at hcoop.net> writes:
> I try to use it, but AFS is terrible over high-latency links, like the
> one under the pacific to Aus. It takes about 10 times as long to
> upload with cp to afs than with scp to mire.

Are you still using BigPond?  Pings from mire to them are only 250ms,
which must make SSH really annoying, but isn't "high latency" from
AFS's perspective (indeed, back in the 80's when AFS was developed
that was probably considered a "normal" ping time).

If you are experiencing packet loss, that may affect AFS more severely
than TCP-based protocols.  But you should switch providers if you're
getting packet loss on a regular basis -- that is not normal.

If you are not getting packet loss and transfers are really 10x slower
than SSH, you should tcpdump an example transfer and send the log to
bugs at openafs.org.

  - a