[HCoop-Discuss] Upgrade policy for MoinMoin

Michael Olson mwolson at hcoop.net
Tue Apr 8 11:18:14 EDT 2008

Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> writes:

> Michael Olson wrote:
>> Are members in general comfortable with me running these upgrade
>> scripts on all of their wikis?  Also, would people prefer advance
>> notification or after-the-fact notification for these upgrades?
>>

> First, I think we should be upgrading MoinMoin with Debian stable
> releases, as far as possible, so that this will be a quite infrequent
> occurrence.  The current MoinMoin on mire works just fine for me.

The problem is that MoinMoin has historically had a lot of security
issues that have only been fixed in a new release, rather than a bugfix
patch to some later release.  The Debian maintainer of the package, last
time I checked, has not been taking these bug fixes and backporting them
to the version of MoinMoin in Debian stable.  I basically had to do that
myself when a vuln was exposed just after a release last year.

Also, I like to see us running the latest versions of web apps, because
some of the crustier old Moin releases are still around, and it really
makes the site look out-of-date.

> Second, as long as we have regular back-ups, then I'm fine with having
> someone upgrade my wikis for me, if that person doesn't mind doing it.
> Should we add a wiki page for registering wikis for this upgrading
> service?

If it's the case that not everyone might want automatic migration, then
the people who don't register on the wiki page would have trouble
whenever a new release was installed, because their wiki pages might not
work any longer.  Basically we would have to keep two different versions
of MoinMoin around on mire, which would mean there would have to be some
way for domtool to distinguish between the two, perhaps by means of a
MoinVersion domtool variable (whose values could be "moin_stable" or
"moin_latest").

>> If you have a MoinMoin wiki on deleuze, I'm interested in hearing
>> what your opinions on this.
>>

> You mean "on mire," right?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

--