[HCoop-Discuss] [megacz] Re: Procmail log location on new system

Adam Megacz megacz at hcoop.net
Sat Oct 6 05:29:38 EDT 2007

I'll be "officially" back in ~24hours, but for now I have a moment to
answer a few emails while I wait for my plane...

Michael Olson <mwolson at hcoop.net> writes:
>> Sounds good. Just, did we decide where to keep logs? IIRC, we intended
>> to create a separate logs volume...

> I don't know.  Tagging this for response from Adam M., in case he knows.

I think this was a debate that never really got resolved.

The concerns I had with a separate logs volume were (a) we can't do
this until we have a UI to let users change their quota allocation
(logs vs home) and (b) it increases the volume namespace by 50%.

Concern (b) is not as serious as (a), but I just want to mention that
it should always be in the back of our minds when considering new
per-user volumes.  A few is okay, as long as we don't go nuts.

Doing (a) is kinda tricky, because whatever mechanism we set up has to
run with AFS-superuser powers.  My recommendation would be remctld on
deleuze, which we'll probably want to set up anyways for other reasons
in the near future (best example: so we can delegate "vos release" to
non-admins).  The nice part about remctld is that it's a very small
codebase maintained by a single very security-minded developer, so
it's probably the easiest thing to trust with these sorts of
privileges.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380