[HCoop-Discuss] Membership freeze?

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sun May 13 13:02:51 EDT 2007

Terrence Brannon wrote:
> Freezing is just that - it is cold and impersonal. No one complained
> doesnt mean they werent unhappy. They might've feared permanent
> rejection if they opened their mouth. I request a vote on this issue.

If anything, it would be a vote among the people whose life schedules
are impacted by the decision, not rank-and-file members.  No aspect of
our culture dictates that volunteers are required to sacrifice arbitrary
amounts of their time to prevent current and prospective members from
feeling that something "cold and impersonal" is going on.  Every member
joining before migration adds concrete time requirements on admins.

At any rate, two out of three board members approved the freeze
decision, so it is in effect now.  I would consider changing my vote if
a majority of _admins_ turn out to oppose the idea, or maybe if some
members want to pay us for our time handling migration.