[HCoop-Discuss] Financial situation

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Tue May 1 22:23:09 EDT 2007

Michael Potter wrote:
> I have no idea what anyone is planning and can only guess based on
> their actions. Currently, I'd say that the service we're getting is
> professional quality, and it's doubtful paid admins would improve
> that. So why the push to expand until we can afford them?

As Nathan already pointed out, we are not planning to hire paid staff
any time soon.  I have a feeling this whole sub-thread is born of a
confusion between wish list items and near-term goals that are
influencing decisions or proposals for higher dues.  We will never hire
staff if it isn't clear that the cost/benefit trade-off is worthwhile.

> If a system can be set up remotely, there's no reason why it can't
> be maintained the same way.

We aren't able to set systems up remotely.  Nathan has made numerous
visits to the colo facility to make the latest effort work.  It's
essential to have in-person intervention to deal with hardware
installation and maintenance.  Especially if we expand to providing our
own dedicated server and colocation services to members, it quickly
becomes clear that there is great benefit to having people stationed
right next to the machines, as hardware failures would be frequent.  If
this weren't clear, then our commercial competition wouldn't be doing it
in almost all cases.