[HCoop-Discuss] Financial situation

Michael Potter mpotter at hcoop.net
Tue May 1 19:46:35 EDT 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 11:17:44AM -0700, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> That is very different from claiming that we are making changes
> _primarily_because_ we want to create jobs for people. The existence of
> paid positions is a consequence of wanting to provide better service.

I have no idea what anyone is planning and can only guess based on
their actions. Currently, I'd say that the service we're getting is
professional quality, and it's doubtful paid admins would improve
that. So why the push to expand until we can afford them? I'm not
saying we shouldn't move to the new systems, we all agreed, or did not
disagree, to do that. I'm just asking, what's the rush?

> What you are saying is analogous to this:
> - If a company is thinking of expanding, and
> - This will increase the number of pencils in use, so
> - They will need to hire someone specifically to sharpen pencils, then
> - We see alarming signs that the company is expanding explicitly to
> create a pencil-sharpening job!

The analogy breaks down, pencils are incidental. If the van pool were
gearing up for rapid expansion and some of the driver/mechanics were
about to graduate from mechanic school, I might start to wonder if
there were a hidden agenda.

> P.S.: As I see things, the paid admins will all have to work at a single
> physical office. The geographical diversity of the current set of
> volunteers, not to mention our diverse career aspirations, in fact make
> it very _unlikely_ that _any_ of us will ever be paid.

If a system can be set up remotely, there's no reason why it can't
be maintained the same way.

--
Michael Potter
mpotter at hcoop.net