[HCoop-Discuss] Financial situation

Michael Potter mpotter at hcoop.net
Tue May 1 14:06:30 EDT 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 10:39:47AM -0700, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> Michael Potter wrote:
> > Which are we, exactly? I can't tell. It's looking more and more like
> > an entity designed to provide jobs for a few people. How big do we
> > need to get to pay salaries? IMO, too big, too fast.
> >

> Now hooooold on there a moment.  Where has there been _any_ sign that we
> are evolving in ways designed to provide even _one_ person with "a job"?

There's been mention of having paid people responsible for the systems
in shifts, and as any experienced sysadmin can tell you, you build a
system, you own it. A setup with AFS+Kerberos and LDAP+SSL is not
trivial to set up or maintain, I've been a Linux admin for years and
I'm not sure I could take over the current setup without a huge
learning curve. The people who are putting it together right now will
be the best qualified, and possibly the only ones qualified, to run
it. It's also been mentioned that exponential growth is intended.

These things together seem to point towards current admins becoming
the paid admins.

--
Michael Potter
mpotter at hcoop.net