[HCoop-Discuss] Financial situation

Aaron Hsu aaron.hsu at sacrificumdeo.net
Tue May 1 13:12:55 EDT 2007

On Tue, 01 May 2007 12:00:26 -0500, Michael Potter <mpotter at hcoop.net>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 09:05:28AM -0700, Adam Chlipala wrote:
>> I stand by both my guarantee that no one who objects will need to pay a
>> penny and by the appropriateness of that guarantee.  We should not
>> direct any negative vibes toward Rob or anyone else for taking me up on
>> it, and here's why:
>
> This is bad for two reasons:
>
> 1. Having you carry the group is not fair to you.

This may not be fair to him, and I agree with you here, which is why I
push to make payments for these services, but this also is not a good
reason, in my opinion, to stop this kind of action in the future. Just
because it is not fair for one member to accept a higher burden than
others, does not mean that such a burden should not be permitted.

> 2. Having you pay more implies more power for you, not fair to the group.

As a member, I am reading Adam's donation as having no additional
constraints or privilege granting power. Thus, I don't think he really has
more power other than simple influence, which I don't think is wrong at
all. He doesn't have any more tehcnical power than we have given him.

If someone did want to donate a good deal of resources and such with
constraints and conditions on how they should be used, I think this would
be an argument against it, but in general, I think the fairness of Adam's
current proposions should not be a motivating factor.

[These are just my opinions.]

--
Aaron Hsu <aaron.hsu at sacrificumdeo.net>
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he