[HCoop-Discuss] Volunteer response times

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Tue Mar 27 00:09:27 EDT 2007

Graham Freeman wrote:
> I can understand that this must be very frustrating, especially in
> light of the datacenter transition-in-progress...  But clearly the 24-
> hour-without-advance-notice policy isn't working for a valuable
> member of the Hcoop community.  Perhaps there's a way to resolve that
> without losing that member's unique talents?

We seem to have agreed to change the time period to 48 hours, but that
doesn't change things much.

It's important to understand that no one is required to do anything but
respond to e-mails addressed to him personally within that time period.
If something is broken and that person is asked to fix it, we have not
codified any responsibility on his part to do so... EVER.  We only ask
that he respond to the e-mail, so that everyone else can have some idea
of what's going on.  A valid response is "I'm busy this week.  I'll do
it on <specific date>."

I can't, as president, organize people who can't commit to doing that
within 48 hours.  If that rules some people out from volunteering, then
that's too bad, but I don't think there's any alternative.  We need to
be able to predict some element of the timing of communication.