[HCoop-Discuss] package like "debbackup"?

Michael Olson mwolson at hcoop.net
Tue Jun 19 16:14:17 EDT 2007

Michael Potter <mpotter at hcoop.net> writes:

> At my old employer we used a slightly different approach,
> cfengine. For a small installation, the setup is perhaps not worth the
> trouble, but with more than four or five systems it gets tiring to
> duplicate the config everywhere. Cfengine is self-documenting, and it
> also is a sort of backup itself.
>
> Restore operations were theoretically, fresh OS install, run
> cfengine. Done. Wait, find the things I forgot to do through cfengine
> because I was in a hurry 18 months ago. Dang. Okay, done.
>
> There are other options that do the same thing, like Puppet.

I don't even want to think about cfengine or puppet until we have more
machines than just three.  I use cfengine at work, and while it's great
for cluster nodes, it's often not used for machines that provide
distinct services, because it's not worth the hassle.  It also takes
quite a bit of time to set up, and it's very easy to make hard-to-find
errors in cfengine configuration files.

Maybe if we had two or more webservers doing exactly the same job,
cfengine (or puppet) would come in handy.

--
       Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652     |
 http://mwolson.org/ -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net  |  /` |\ | | |