[HCoop-Discuss] useful reading

Michael Potter mpotter at hcoop.net
Tue Jun 5 04:05:47 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 01:22:59PM -0700, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> I'll just repeat that this system is only intended to be used in the
> short term.  I expect that we'll switch back to equal shares for all
> once we have enough members that monthly expenses are under $5 when
> split evenly.

It wouldn't make sense to add unnecessary accounting to the billing
process, but it seems unfair to me that members who use few resources
will pay the same as those who use a lot. The message there seems to
be I get more for my money if I take up more disk space and
bandwidth. On the other hand, if everyone pays < $5, who gives a crap?

> This doesn't include at-cost charges for resource use where such charges
> seem reasonable.  I hope we never have "tiered service levels" but
> rather charge for resources used based on how much it costs us to
> provide them.  I imagine that most if not all members would prefer such
> a system to tiers.

As long as resource usage is watched, and people who use a lot pay for
it when they incur an extra cost with the hosting provider, tiers seem
more like a hassle than a benefit right now. Unless the extra usage
prompts another upgrade, but we're not there yet.

--
Michael Potter
mpotter at hcoop.net