[HCoop-Discuss] HCoop and Ping! Magazine Article

leitgebj at hcoop.net leitgebj at hcoop.net
Sat Feb 24 09:52:05 EST 2007

Great job Adam, just one comment about something that we may be able to
add in response to the third question.  I think that the discussion
(although not resolved) about a possible environmental policy relates to
the notion of what the "community" of users at HCoop is capable of, and
this seems to distinguish us from traditional hosting operations.
Perhaps something along the lines of the following response?

> 3.) I would imagine that there would be a far higher level of
> "community" involved in a coop hosting enterprise -- which would seem
> to give it a fairly major advantage in terms of things that you
> normally don't see at a commercial hosting provider... here I'm
> thinking of things such as a community you could go to if you're
> having problems building a webapp or coding some PHP, for example.
> Would you agree that's the case?

Absolutely.  As a co-operative, "community" has always been a central
concern for us.  We use a variety of technical means, including
listserves and wikis, to help members to communicate.  We frequently see
members helping each other in response to a technical issue that one
member is facing through our collaborative support forum.  Additionally,
many members of HCoop are interested in issues that concern those in a
broader community that extends past our immediate user base.  This has
led HCoop users to discuss possible ways to minimize the environmental
impacts of our hosting operation.