[HCoop-Discuss] Tax forms etc

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Mon Feb 5 21:37:33 EST 2007

Hello all,
I am emerging from a nasty weeklong bout with the flu, and am working on
completing our 2006 Form 990EZ for HCoop.  According to the instructions,
we really shouldn't have to file since our gross income was less than
$25000, however our exemption letter said that we would be required to
file, so I want to be on the safe side.  I will call the IRS shortly and
see if we can safely get away without filing, which would be nice, but in
the meantime I want to make sure it is ready.

A few things of note:
I need to enumerate gifts to the cooperative.
I need to value our donations.  A bit of online research indicates that
the following should be fair market values for the used donations:
Deleuze: $2000
Mire: $900
Baltar: $100

As far as I know, nobody donated money to the cooperative this year, am I
right?

For future reference, when we move to the "pledge" payment scheme, we will
have to account for any amount contributed above the average contribution
as a gift--only average contribution may be considered "dues."  None were
made this year so that isn't relevent here.

Note to Adam and Davor: I need an estimation on the amount of hours a week
you spend on HCoop in your capacity as an officer or director of the
cooperative.  I don't think you can really differentiate between your
officer/non-officer duties so just give me the average HCoop time spent
per week.  I know this is extremely variable, so a wild guess is
appropriate here.  I put 5 for myself.

Anyway, the whole 990EZ form is 3 pages long and is basically done and
ready to submit.  I will scan it and mail it to the directors later this
week.  Or rather I can redact the address/phone number bits as necessary
and mail it to the whole list.  Note the whole thing is public record, so
even if we don't make it available on the internet anyone could request it
from the IRS, so if Adam or Davor do not want their home addresses on it
or Adam doesn't want his cell phone number on it, please send me
alternatives.  I do need SOME address for each director and SOME phone
number for the treasurer though.  n.b., Adam I used your number off your
HCoop profile and Davor I used the Opatija address you sent me previously
for the 1140 tax exemption application.

As to the bent rails.
I have not done anything about them yet.  Since Deleuze is resting on the
bottom of the cabinet it could stay there, where as I see it, it is more
important to get rails for mire, which is on top of it.  Baltar is now has
a shelf on top of the cabinet.  However as mounting Deleuze would require
taking it (and probably mire also) offline for a bit, if deleuze is to be
mounted it should be taken care of relatively soon.

I am not going to play at hammersmith and buy tools and try to fix the
rails myself, and with everything going on I have difficulty justifying
running around the city with the rails trying to find a place to get them
fixed.  If someone can find a place where I can definitely take the rails
and get them fixed, then great, I will do that.  Right now we have an
offer for new rails from Graham for only $50 in HCoop credit, and I think
we'd have a hard time doing better than that.  Then I could either eBay
the bent ones for a few bucks or keep them as spares.