[HCoop-Discuss] Bylaws revision - increasing size of board, etc.

Michael Potter mpotter at hcoop.net
Mon Dec 31 16:25:54 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 23:12 -0500, Nathan Kennedy wrote:
> How is there a trend towards oligarchy when there has constantly been a
> call for increasing involvement, volunteerism, and discussion?  Also the
> move to increase the size of the board, which I have been pushing for
> quite some time, seems directly contrary to oligarchy to me.

First of all, let me say that I'm not speaking out to cause a disruption
for it's own sake. I simply want to broach certain subjects now while I
still can.

Put in a more affirmative way, would anyone object to my creating a poll
in the wiki to ping the membership about some of the issues I brought
up? With all our talk of the will of the majority, it might be helpful
to know just what that will is.

It's true that there have been calls for involvement, volunteers and
discussion, but only after the big decisions have been pre-digested and
mostly finalized. In most cases this is desirable but it also allows for
a certain amount of 'leading the witness.'

> I am really not sure you understand our bylaws.  Before you seemed under
> the impression that our bylaws allowed directors carte blanche to suspend
> the elections and impose martial law.  Now you seem to think that removal
> and bylaws elections can only happen once a year, which I don't think is
> that long anyway, and is not the case.  Elections happen once a year,
> bylaws amendments and removal of directors can happen at any time at all,
> initiated by any member at all.  You can call for a vote to remove all of
> the board and have a new election, or to rewrite the bylaws from scratch,
> right now if you are so inclined.  There's nothing holy about my proposed
> revisions.
>
> Hope this helps,
> -ntk

I'm sure you understand the bylaws better than me since you wrote them
and are in law school, but I'll read them again.

Michael