[HCoop-Discuss] Bylaws revision - increasing size of board, etc.

Dane Bullerwell dane.bullerwell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 14:31:51 EST 2007

Uncharacteristically, I have something to say. Unfortunately, it is
basically just a less articulate riff on what Nathan said, so stop reading
if you don't like "me too" posts.

Michael proposes a direct-democracy system whereby some matters that would
otherwise be dealt with by the Board are instead put to the entire
membership. I'd prefer we didn't move towards such a direct democracy
approach. While I don't have the time, interest, or technical knowledge to
vote on many issues -- even "significant" issues -- facing HCoop, I can
muster the energy to take a passing interest during Board elections. If
"significant" issues started coming up for full-membership votes, I suspect
some members (such as myself) who didn't have sufficient time, interest, or
technical knowledge to inform themselves about the matter would simply
abstain. That doesn't necessarily mean I don't have *some* interest in the
outcome. I'd just rather delegate all of my annual "votes" to a subset of
the membership that seems trustworthy/skilled/interested/intelligent (i.e.
my choices in the Board election).

Of course, if my choices in the Board election aren't elected, then my
"votes" are effectively wasted for that year. But given the non-zero costs
involved in participating in full-membership votes, that's a risk I'm
willing to take. I just don't think I would be in a position to make a
better informed decision than an elected Board member, and I prefer making
an annual "somewhat informed" vote to more regular "not informed" votes. I
also think this "less interested member" phenomenon will become more common
as HCoop grows. Of course, an argument might be made that if I can't bother
to take an interest in a "significant" issue facing the co-op, then I have
given up any interest in affecting the outcome.

I have some concerns about whether "significant" is a workable standard,
although Michael does a good job giving examples of the kinds of issues that
would require a full-membership vote. I also don't think employment or
admin-related issues are appropriately addressed by the full membership.
These sorts of HR matters, by their very nature, require you to meet with
people and often discuss issues confidentially. Likewise, many financial
decisions require specialized knowledge and detailed understanding of the
available courses of action. I'd prefer that a few Board members invest
significant time in understanding the issues, and then make an informed
decision in the best interests of the group.

Ultimately, any unwanted, dramatic changes by the Board to the structure or
functioning of HCoopBoard could, as Nathan proposes, be dealt with by an
amendment to the Bylaws using the residual power of the membership. The
bottom line is, I think most HCoop members are here because we want
relatively cheap, robust, and/or flexible web hosting, and the decisions
with respect to how that is accomplished (even the "significant" decisions)
are best left to the Board. I think we have to trust that the Board we elect
won't take the organization off the rails on the proverbial Crazy Train.

As for the original proposed changes, I have no problem with the Board
membership being increased. Five seems appropriate. The staggered multi-year
terms approach also seems like a good idea.

Take care, and happy 2008,
Dane