[HCoop-Discuss] DNS issues

docelic docelic at mire.hcoop.net
Wed Dec 19 16:54:22 EST 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 11:03:42AM -0800, Jeff Basham wrote:
> I just checked my domain on GoDaddy (the hcoop's wiki recommends GoDaddy)
> and they require two unique name servers.  The Hcoop needs to provide its
> members with two name servers.  It seems like a major oversight that
> suddenly the 'documentation'was out of date', and now you only provide one
> name server for your customers.
> As far as I know, there is not a registrar that will accept just one name
> server.
>
> Some further explaination and a action plan from the BoD of HCoop should be
> posted immediately.

Hi,

We've always provided two DNS servers minimum.
I was not the main person behind it and so I couldn't give
the big picture, but the plan was to have ns1 and ns3 as
pointers to the new infrastructure. (ns1 = deleuze, ns3 = mire).

Then, later, when Fyodor (old server) is decomissioned, we would
also point ns2 to mire. Ns3 would be left pointing at Mire not
to break configs for people who used that as their name server.
Eventually if we got a third one, ns3 could be redirected there.

So if I'm still up to date with information, users on the new
infrastructure should use ns1 and ns3, and if ns3 isn't working,
it's a bug.

-doc