[HCoop-Discuss] RAM upgrade on Mire

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Wed Dec 12 16:58:53 EST 2007

docelic at hcoop.net wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Some time ago, we were discussing RAM upgrade on Mire.
>
> We can go up to 4 GB (from the current 1 GB) and I think
> now, before the migration from the old server is completed,
> it is the best time to introduce a short downtime during
> weekend to 1) Upgrade RAM and 2) Install a new Mire kernel.
>
> Installing the new Mire kernel will be a "by the way" operation,
> so I'd like to focus on the RAM upgrade here.
>
> We've received an offer from one of our members to donate 1 GB,
> and there were also plans for buying 2 GB ourselves, for a
> maximum total of 4 GB.
>
> Let's give this another round of discussion and reach a
> consensus. If someone could provide a pointer in our lists
> archive to the previous thread on the topic, that would
> be very useful.
>
> Basically, my aim here is to:
>
>  - reach agreement on getting new RAM
>  - decide how much we want (my suggestion is full 3 GB for a total of 4)
>  - decide whether we accept 1 GB donation (if the offer
>    is still "in")
>  - decide where do we buy part or all of new RAM
>    (direct links were given in previuos thread on the topic,
>    we only need to dig it up)
>
> Thanks,
> -doc

Can you put in a bugzilla bug for this?  I strongly suggest that we
integrate the other mire tasks (108, 124, 275) so we can do this all in
one shot and one downtime.

Also I would appreciate coordinating with some admins to have at least
one or two available for a couple hours while I do this.  I'll also
bring a laptop to make chatting during the operation easier.  I think
sometime over the winter break (Between Dec 18 and Jan 7, inclusive)
would be ideal.  Let's set a time before this weekend, that we can
firmly schedule, commit to, and announce.  We can rush RAM shipments if
needed.