[HCoop-Discuss] Openness of mailing lists (only archive last N days?)

Michael Olson mwolson at hcoop.net
Mon Apr 30 13:05:17 EDT 2007

Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> writes:

> The poll so far makes it clear that "close the list" is the majority
> viewpoint, including among the board members.  So let me just suggest a
> possibility based on this class of objection.
>
> hcoop-sysadmin now is used for (or at least, in my assumptions, has been
> intended to be used for) two classes of messages: architectural
> discussions where we can clearly benefit from as broad participation as
> possible, and short notes between admins coordinating work.  Would
> everyone be happy with moving just the second class to a separate,
> private list?
>
> For the broad discussions, it's entirely possible that interested
> parties outside the co-op could have valuable things to say.  Non-member
> developers of software packages might even watch our lists to see if
> they can get ideas for how to improve them.  We can probably all agree
> that the second class has no such possibilities.

I'm trying to think of how classification of topics between two lists
would work.  It's not immediately obvious to me.  Here's what I've
come up with so far, which would involve three lists.  Examples are
parenthesized.

1. Open to the world (sysadmin-related):

 - General progress reports ("we've migrated our first member today")

 - Issues with software, after discussion on the closed list with no
   resolution, which could not potentially compromise our security

2. Open to hcoop members only (anything), call it hcoop-private:

 - Discussion about switching vendors.

 - Stuff better kept inside hcoop due to personal issues.  ("Person X
   is being nonresponsive.", "I'm having serious concerns about our
   ability to pay back Adam for his loan to hcoop", etc.)

3. Closed to everyone but current admins (sysadmin-related):

 - Initial issues with software

 - Specific TODO items and progress reports ("I've tinkered with
   Kerberos/LDAP integration today.  It seems to not be broken.")

 - Things that could potentially compromise the security of our
   machines.

> Michael Olson wrote:
>> This poll is fatally flawed because of the ambiguity about which
>> lists it applies to. Please take it down and replace it with a poll
>> that only mentions hcoop-sysadmin.
>
> I think the general trend is clear enough that there's no need to do
> this.

Fair enough.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net