[HCoop-Discuss] Openness of mailing lists

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sat Apr 28 19:30:55 EDT 2007

Aaron Hsu wrote:
> I strongly believe that all the lists should be public. First, such
> openness should help to demand a level of responsibility and public
> accountability on the part of the authors and contributors to that list. I
> strongly believe in an open policy to security vulnerabilities, and in
> fixing them post haste.
I was one who said that hcoop-sysadmin should be private, in that we
should have at least one members-only mailing list.  I'm not worried
about embarrassment or privacy issues.  I am worried about jeopardizing
HCoop's security and stability.  Right now there is no forum for the
admins (or other members) to discuss issues without exposing this to the
entire internet.  Both of these have nothing to do with the content of
the messages ultimately becoming public, but with them being public in
realtime.

This creates major problems:
1. Hackers trawling the web may be able to exploit security issues being
discussed on -sysadmin faster than we can fix them.  Remember we are
talking about a live system that our members depend on for hosting their
sites and handling their email, not new exploits in the abstract.
2. Somewhat less important but still an issue, our strategy for
negotiating with businesses also may not be something that we want to be
public before it is finalized.  Whether it's negotiating over contracts
or deciding how to respond to, putting every word out there as it is
said puts us at a disadvantage and potentially creates the possibility
of retaliation.

Ultimately, I don't care if it's hcoop-sysadmin or a new list, but I
think it is important that we have a semi-private way for members to
communicate.  For important issues this has already been happening with
email CC's, and it will always continue to happen as long as we have no
private mailing list.  At least with a private mailing list a record of
the emails is kept and available to members, which is not the case with
private emails.  We already have a consensus that we want to keep
hcoop-discuss open and keep most list traffic in general open to the
public.  By moving some private emails onto a semiprivate members-only
list, we may end up bringing more member communication to light.