[HCoop-Discuss] Backup related questions

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Tue Oct 31 14:12:04 EST 2006

Omry Yadan wrote:

>1. What is the problem with the local nfs mount?
>
>if its local, what does it have to do with the firewall rules?

Beats me.  It just turned out to be too hard for me to set up in the
time I allocated to attempting it about a year ago.

>2. the local snapshot backup is running now, but simply not available
>for all users, or is it turned off?

No, we are no longer making any backups, because the software proved
unable in some way to handle the amount of data we have.  We were using
rsnapshot, and it would fail with errors related to lack of memory.

>3. how much data do we need to backup?
>
>how much approximate new data do we have every week?

That's a hard question to answer.  I don't know if you're aware, but
we're planning to move to a completely new server architecture in about
two weeks.  One of the big reasons for doing this is to be able to add
large amounts of storage as member demand dictates.  Many members are at
present limiting their disk usage drastically because they know that we
can't easily add disk space to our rented server.  As a result, I think
we can expect a large and hard-to-predict increase in disk space usage
after the upgrade.

>I may have a suggestion for automated offsite backup, but I want to
>check the prices for what we need before raising it.

I asked the folks at rsync.net about this a few months back, and they
quoted a rate of $0.90/mo. per GB of storage, given that I said we'd
have at least 20 GB and that we are a non-profit organization.