[HCoop-Discuss] Proposal to make Wiki frontpage read-only

Michael Olson mwolson at hcoop.net
Sat Oct 28 09:52:59 EDT 2006

rob at hcoop.net writes:

> So, nothing is stopping them from signing up to commit changes to
> our wiki.  I'm of the opinion that if someone can't be bothered to
> go through the step of creating an account prior to editing a page
> they don't have anything meaningful to contribute.

Signing up is an extra, and unnecessary, step for making changes like
the ones I mentioned.  It will definitely turn away people who would
be likely to make the kind of edits that I described.

So why make things unnecessarily harder?  Write-protect just the one
darn FrontPage to prevent egg-on-face kind of spam, and be done with
it!

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net