[HCoop-Discuss] Proposal to make Wiki frontpage read-only

Aaron Hsu arcfide at sacrificumdeo.net
Mon Oct 23 14:34:28 EDT 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Adam Chlipala wrote:

> Michael Olson wrote:
>
>> I propose that we make the FrontPage of our wiki writable only to
>> members, and not to anonymous users.  The frontpage is the most
>> embarrassing place to find spam, and it is also the place that is
>> least useful for anonymous posters to modify.
>>
>> This can most likely be accomplished by adding the following line to
>> the top of the page.  Any objections?
>>
>> #acl Default All:read
>>

> I wouldn't cry over this change, but it does seem unfortunate.  The
> MoinMoin anti-spam measures are very effective.  I subscribe to the
> RecentChanges RSS feed, so I'll catch and revert any graffiti
> within 24
> hours.  If more of us in different time zones did the same, we could
> keep the wiki philosophy and avoid the downsides.

I would be willing to see what I could do as far as watching for spam
is concerned. I haven't really taken the time to work with the Wiki
much, but it would be nicer to be able to keep it to a "pure" wiki
rather than having to control parts of it.

Aaron W. Hsu
arcfide at sacrificumdeo.net
Phone: 703-597-7656
IM: arcfide at hcoop.net (Jabber/XMPP/GTalk)