[HCoop-Discuss] .coop tld?

leitgebj at hcoop.net leitgebj at hcoop.net
Sun Oct 15 18:18:12 EDT 2006

Welcome to the list, Ketty!

I wrote to the list a few months ago in support of moving to a .coop TLD.
Some of the same issues with cost were brought up at that time, as well as
the fact that our legal name is HCoop, Inc.

Despite these concerns, I think that the benefits of moving to a name like
hosting.coop would offset the disadvantages.  Specifically, I like the
facts that: it would be easier to relay in communication, it emphasizes
what we do (i.e., hosting), and that it emphasizes our established
organizational status as a cooperative.

Along with the benefits mentioned above, I also think that it would help
to strengthen relationships to other cooperatives who have already jumped
on the .coop bandwagon such as my local grocery store, the  The Lexington
Real Foods Community Co-op (http://www.lexington.coop).

I think that we should do it in conjunction with the server move if at all
possible.  Let me know if I can help out in any way, e.g., by filling out
the necessary paperwork.

Justin