[HCoop-Discuss] EnvironmentalPolicy

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Wed Nov 29 14:02:31 EST 2006

ntk at hcoop.net writes:
>> I think this is a reasonable idea, but should be put off for a few
>> months while we finish migrating to the new machines and ramp up our
>> membership. Given that we wouldn't need consensus for such a decision
>> I fail to see the damage done by delaying until perhaps February or
>> early March.
>
> I see the damage as proceeding without any policy in our largest expansion
> effort yet.  I don't even care as much about carbon offsetting or this
> particular issue so much as proceeding without any policy at all.  As I
> stated on the EnvironmentalPolicy page in July, the longer we wait to
> start, the harder it will be to start.  That's a fact.

You cannot make assertions about conditions in the future.

> We could have had an environmental policy from Day 1.  We've been
> operating as a corporation for almost two years now and as an
> unincorporated group for years longer, but we still have no policy
> whatsoever.  It's not going to get easier once another 200 members join.

I think having an environmental policy is a lot less important than
you feel it is. Our resource impact is already minimal; we use a bit
of electricity and not much else.

I suspect that you are also incorrect about it becoming more difficult
to implement as the number of members increases. I think it would be
easier because the amount each person had to pay would begin to
approach zero.

--
http://unknownlamer.org
Jabber:clinton at hcoop.net
I'm just thinking aloud; isn't thinking allowed?
443E 4F1A E213 7C54 A306  E328 7601 A1F0 F403 574B