[HCoop-Discuss] EnvironmentalPolicy

Graham Freeman graham.freeman at cernio.com
Tue Nov 28 23:48:11 EST 2006

Hi, folks,

As an HCoop member, I'm strongly in favour of this proposal.

It used to be acceptable in the USA to litter on the sidewalks and on
the highways, but as our society matured we realized that such
behaviour was not reflective of a good community member.  The
negative impact of leaving one's trash lying around in public is
disproportionately high compared to the inconsequential effort
required to properly clean up after oneself.

Similarly, we USAians are finally starting to catch up to much of the
rest of the world by acknowledging that most things we do have an
environmental impact, and that to be a responsible world citizen
involves doing what we each can to minimize the negative impact of
what we do.

Being a responsible world citizen isn't just "a feel good" thing to
do - it's the right thing to do.  And when we can in fact realize
economic gains (via the marketing angle) while doing the right thing,
deciding whether or not to take such action becomes a no-brainer.

Short of colocating at a datacenter that significantly offsets its
electricity consumption with the direct use of renewable energy
sources, participating in the carbon offset market is (IMO) the best
solution.  I haven't done enough research to feel comfortable
recommending one vendor (e.g. NativeEnergy) over another, but I'm
quite comfortable with Nathan Kennedy's research skills and
decisionmaking abilities.

Cernio Tech Co-op has a Sustainability Analyst Intern who is
researching a very similar approach for our purposes.  I would be
happy to share the results of this internship with HCoop, if
desired.  However, based on what I've seen so far, our intern is
reaching essentially the same conclusion that Nathan has already
reached.

Graham Freeman
Cernio Technology Cooperative
www.cernio.com