[HCoop-Discuss] EnvironmentalPolicy

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Tue Nov 28 19:48:14 EST 2006

I had previously discussed environmental policy here and in #hcoop and
got some positive feedback, but Adam wanted me to bring it up on the
list again before we act on it.

The immediate action I want to take is to have HCoop buy wind energy
credits from NativeEnergy to offset its electricity consumption at
Peer1.  At our current level the 5000 megawatt per annum level at $4
per month would suffice.  I previously pledged to donate the first
year's worth of credits to the co-op, so this will not cost members
for a year, and thereafter it should continue to cost well under $0.05
per month per member.

I think this is important and beneficial for many reasons, outlined at
EnvironmentalPolicy on the wiki, and I propose that the board adopt
all the proposals at that page as official HCoop policy henceforth.

First, there is the Rochedale Principle of social responsibility and
the basic moral principle of cleaning up after ourself.  Hosting is a
fairly clean business; the two biggest environmental costs are
hardware disposal and dirty electricity generation.

 From a less altruistic perspective, the tiny cost of going totally
green presents a great marketing opportunity.  We can use green-e and
NativeEnergy tags, join the EPA Green Energy Partnership, be listed in
green business directories, and just generally attract interest as not
only a unique cooperative providing great service at great value, but
wind-powered too.

That's about all I have to say for now.  If anyone has any questions
or comments please do reply to the list.