[HCoop-Discuss] VPS hosting

ntk at hcoop.net ntk at hcoop.net
Tue Nov 28 15:26:17 EST 2006

I've tossed the idea around before, but is anyone here interested in
hosting virtual private servers on HCoop Right Now?  I ordered a Dell
PowerEdge 1650 that I would like to either colocate for my own use or
for HCoop's use if there is demand; it was a great deal just across
the Hudson from our datacenter and I couldn't pass it up.

I am imagining something like units of 1/8th of the server--minimum of
350MHz, 256M RAM per unit, running Debian, Fedora, NetBSD or your
favorite Xen OS, at about $11 per month (this in addition to base
HCoop dues for regular shell service, which would be somewhat lower as
a result).  This is a much better deal than you would get from
someplace like Rimuhosting, and on our great network too.  Exact price
would of course depend on what we decide the equitable share of the
monthly bill for the VPS server is.

Either way, I'll take total responsibility for adminning and
supporting this server at least until such time as someone else wants
to take over.  If we do make this an official HCoop machine, then we
can also work out how I can be reimbursed either fully or partially
over an extended period of time for it out of the VPS dues (not base
dues from shell users, of course).  And of course if I colocate it
with HCoop for my own use I'd be paying whatever we determine the
fee for that should be.