[HCoop-Discuss] Subversion security issue

Omry Yadan omry at yadan.net
Sat Nov 4 05:17:00 EST 2006

Nathan Kennedy wrote:

> Paul Anderson wrote:
>
>> On 11/3/06, Omry Yadan <omry at yadan.net> wrote:
>>

>>> an alternative solution is to run a local apache as yourself, and  proxy
>>> to it from the shared one.
>>>

>> Oooh, bad bad bad.  No proxying:)  I'm not fond of having individual
>> users running their own apache.  It adds to the load on the machine,
>> although I'm not familiar with the hardware specs we're dealing with.
>> There are some options available with custom tunnels that are vastly
>> to be preferred, and much more lightweight on the server.
>>

> I'm not at all a fan of it either, for the saem sort of reasons, but the
> fact is we have several users doing just that.  I think it should be a
> matter of last resort,
I agree, and just for the record, I have been working on getting svn to
work the way I want it to on hcoop for sevrral whole evenings, maybe a
total of 15 -20 hours.
> but if that's the only way to securely
> accommodate something, it's better than someone going elsewhere for
> their needs.  Saying to switch to darcs or some other software is not
> solving the issue.

agree again - personally I am not going to switch to anything else any
time soon.

> Unrelated note: We may want to offer Xen VPS's sometime in the future
> after migrating, which would be an option for users with a lot of
> advanced needs beyond shared hosting and who can shell out a little more.

I might be a candidate for something like that, given that the cost is
not much higher.

> In the meantime it would be great if we could figure out a way to get
> shared SVN through Apache to work, obviously allowing users to run code
> as www-data is very problematic.

see my other message to the list.

    Omry.