[HCoop-Discuss] pay for different resource limits?

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Thu Jul 27 00:12:00 EDT 2006

Terrence Brannon wrote:
> I am fairly certain that I want more of those "intangible" resource
> limits available to me. Running my own webserver own my allocated port
> is going to cost me, an already resource-hungry hcooper.
>
> Should I pay to have more memory and processes and other such ulimit
> goodies at my disposal?
As you know, both you and I favor a scheme whereby member dues
correspond with usage of resources.  It seems however that the weight of
opinion, including the membership at large that has participated in this
discussion, and the two other board-members, is against imposing such a
scheme right now.  It looks like we are moving towards a more voluntary
scheme for at least the short term while we get started at Peer1,
hopefully shortly.  I feel strongly but not so strongly that I am
unwilling to compromise or stall our progress.

That being said, you should get pretty much whatever resource limits you
need.  If we're not going to charge based on usage, then you should get
to use whatever you want.  If it gets to the point where you're using up
most of the server's resources (which I doubt) then at that point we
will have to re-evaluate our payment scheme.  Fyodor is still not too
overloaded, especially with you running your own webserver, and once we
migrate to Peer1 especially we will have plenty of room.