[HCoop-Discuss] comments on payment schemes

Justin S. Leitgeb leitgebj at hcoop.net
Mon Jul 24 12:42:53 EDT 2006

j.c.hallgren at juno.com wrote:

>So exactly WHY are we going to a new, bigger capacity setup when we,
>in some cases (bandwidth), are not yet using the current fully? Can
>somone explain that? When I was in the corporate mainframe world, we
>would usually not buy a new CPU until we had been running 100% usage
>for months..and disks when we were at 80-90% of capacity..

Also, there is the issue that internet traffic tends to be "bursty",
which leads many web hosts and ISP's to upgrade equipment when they
reach 50% of capacity or so.  Maybe your shop had similarly
unpredictable traffic, but I really think that waiting until our
resources were more than 80% utilized would be a bad idea, unless we
could really deal with *lots* of downtime.