[HCoop-Discuss] Reduced rate qualifications

Davor Ocelic docelic at mail.inet.hr
Sun Jul 23 14:50:39 EDT 2006

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:26:05 -0700
Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> wrote:

> Terrence Brannon wrote:
>
> >I think that dbtool should keep a table of what databases belong to
> >which user and there should be a tool written to count MySQL and
> >Postgres usage as well unless we have unlimited amounts of these
> >resources from our hosting provider.
> >

> Worry not.  These are already stored in a way such that they are counted
> towards your disk quota, and I hope to continue that general strategy
> with AFS on the new systems.

Speaking of which, there are some points I'd like to emphasize:

1) We won't be able to store any special files on AFS volumes
   For block and char devices, that is clear. But it also means
   no sockets or pipes, of which there are about 10 of each on our
   /home partition.

2) Concerning quotas, AFS does not have the quotas as we know them.
   The only "quota" we can set is a per-volume size limit. On one hand, it
   means we must create a volume for each user, and put all their
   files in there. (We will have to change directory structure, since
   it won't be possible to have /home/mysql/ and /home/postgres/ keeping
   all the databases, for example).
   On the other hand, it will allow us not to bother with file permissions,
   as anything that's in the volume (user's directory), will be accounted
   towards their "quota" (volume's limit, that is).

The other two things I have in mind, are:

 - I don't know yet if creating a volume for each user is a recommended
   AFS practice. Somehow I conclude it could be.

 - I don't see a way to resize an AFS volume. So any changes to our users'
   volume sizes will have to be done by copying data outside of a
   volume, re-creating the volume, and moving the data back in.

Any input from someone more familiar with it is more than welcome.

Have a great day,
-doc