[HCoop-Discuss] Reduced rate qualifications

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Fri Jul 21 11:42:10 EDT 2006

Previously I had advocated on the wiki and the list having a two-tiered
(or possibly, three-tiered) pricing scheme when we move to our new
hosting setup.  This is because a few of our members don't want or can't
afford to pay the higher rate and at the same time have extremely low
usage levels such that they cannot justify these costs.  A handful of
our members consume most of the bandwidth and disk space usage, a large
group falls in the middle with moderate usage, and a small group uses
practically no resources.

My idea is to offer those in the last group a flat rate of $5 per month
as long as they keep usage low.  To qualify for that rate they would
probably have to have their disk quota set low (about 50M) and use
minimal web bandwidth, as little as 15M per month, and should also have
email forwarded with no IMAP or Squirrelmail access.

Examining disk usage and bandwidth usage for the past few months shows
that it would be fair to offer this rate to ten members:
naren, ankur, basavesh, kokain, frayedthread, jdrake, ochipepe, ray,
euclid, vikas

Dues for the other members could either be done the same way by
deducting flat dues from monthly expenses and splitting them evenly, or
moving to a flat rate where monthly dues are set somewhat above
projected expenses in order retain cash for future expansions.  It may
or may not make sense for members with top usage to chip in a double
share or some other additional amount for their outsized usage, although
we will have plenty of excess capacity for the time being.

I would like people's comments on this plan.  Obviously this is only a
proposal at this point, but I would like to get this settled shortly so
that we don't have uncertainty hanging over member's heads.  Also let me
know if and why you think the list I composed is not proper.  Obviously
though the cutoff must be low, or we would be offering the discount rate
to most of our members and there would be no way for the co-op to meet
its expenses.