[Hcoop-discuss] Google checkout

Justin S. Leitgeb leitgebj at hcoop.net
Sun Jul 2 07:20:51 EDT 2006

I agree that we should work towards accepting credit cards on the
internet, while working away from PayPal if some members object to their
policies and practices for any reason.  If google is problematic because
of their policy, there are lots of companies who act as a middle-layer
between us and the credit card companies' API, including the following
that I found after looking on google for a couple of minutes:

* monstermerchantaccount.com (a network solutions company)
* http://www.firstnationalmerchants.com/mark/home.asp

The page at
http://www.west-wind.com/webconnection/MerchantProviders.asp provides
links to a couple of merchant processing sites that seem to be popular.
Finally, as a quick solution that allows us to use credit cards but
obviously doesn't get around the PayPal issue is that Verisign (a PayPal
company) offers merchant accounts as well.

This may not be realistic now, but once we reach a certain size we can
write software to interface directly with an API at various credit card
companies.  This would obviously cut out the commision with services
like PayPal, so I think we should keep it in mind as we grow.

Let me know if I can be of any help in looking at one or more of these
companies in more detail.

Justin