[Hcoop-discuss] Next hardware configuration

Shaun Empie shaun at hcoop.net
Sat Jan 28 16:40:07 EST 2006

Adam Chlipala wrote:

>In his last post, Justin asked about colocation providers.  I think it
>makes more sense to consider first exactly what we want to colocate.
>This makes it possible to ask colocation providers for pricing of
>particular package deals.
>
>I think, at a minimum, we need the following:
>- A file server for a shared (AFS?) file system, probably dedicated and
>not performing any other server tasks.
>- A primary server that most members aren't allowed to log into or run
>their own code (CGI, etc.) on.  This would run nearly all of our
>services, with the exception of things like dynamic web sites and
>user-specific daemons.  (Is there anything else that we currently offer
>that involves execution of arbitrary general purpose programs written by
>members?)
>- A less locked-down server that members log into to administer their
>services.  It would have a separate Apache serving dynamic web sites, as
>well as plenty of security measures along the lines of what we have on
>fyodor now.
>- Off-network file backup.  Our file server can maintain several backup
>images on RAID storage, but I think we should still take complete images
>of user data on media that are taken off the network, every now and then.
>
>Things that might be nice to have, but that it's not clear we're ready
>for yet:
>- Shell/development servers which are designed for non-Internet hosting
>related uses
>- Replication of kinds of servers
>- Further differentiation into mail servers, web servers, database
>servers, etc.
>
>Extra hardware goodies to consider:
>- Serial console
>- Hardware firewall
>
>So, what do y'all think about what exactly we should include in our next
>configuration?

I like all that I see there.  What I gather is that we won't be able to
build/obtain all the hardware at once, so for now we just need to decide
which would be the first type of box to go up, and find a provider that
will allow for cheap additional rackspace.

I'd like to see another server, to be either the more locked down
production server or the more open server.  This would allow us to have
a capable server in the event that one has a major outage.  Then from
there as we accumilate some more funds we can add a file server, dev
server, etc.  As long has we have a good foundation of reliable
production servers, we'll be able to grow a lot smoother.

Just my 2 cents
-Shaun