[Hcoop-discuss] Server pricing

Justin S. Leitgeb leitgebj at hcoop.net
Wed Feb 15 23:35:53 EST 2006

I generally agree that we should support cooperatives, and other
companies with "responsible" practices (and not just bumper-sticker
"Corporate Responsibility" labels that are rampant today).  If we can
justify buying servers from someone like Penguin Computing, based on
reliability estimates, support and pricing we should certainly go for
it.  But we should base our decision on empirical data.

I have no ideological attachments to Dell, and only sent out a quote for
their equipment because I could put one together quickly on-line.  I
also happen to work for an Internet company that has about 300 Dell
servers, all running Linux (mostly PowerEdge 1650's, 1850, and 2850's),
and my experience has been that they are a fairly reliable platform
(relatively few hardware failures) with good support.  It could be that
they are "cheap crap" to others, though -- specifically, they may be
lacking in areas we haven't tested.  Clinton, what are you basing your
comment on?

I'm all up for choosing a server platform, Dell or otherwise, based on
our knowledge of how a given company is doing, technically and
socially.  If anyone has other quotes they'd like to put together from
other companies and reviews of different platforms, let's put our heads
together and weigh the evidence.

Justin