[Hcoop-discuss] Server pricing

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sun Feb 12 16:17:19 EST 2006

Justin S. Leitgeb wrote:

>Machine A (fileserver): AFSd (or whatever the AFS server process is
>called), sshd (but only for admin login), kerberos server?
>
>Machine B ("public" services): Cyrus IMAP, httpd (perhaps multiple
>copies running to avoid service disruption in case one user needs to
>load modules), smtpd (exim), sshd (but only for admin login)
>
>Machine C (login server): sshd for normal user access, program
>compilation and common shell use

A large part of the benefit from separating Machines B and C comes from
not allowing rank-and-file members to run any code on Machine B.  For
this reason, I think C needs an Apache as well, for serving dynamic web
sites.  Member sites with static content only could be hosted on either
B or C.

The rest sounds good, modulo my lack of experience with network
administration.

>According to the hardware pricing examples I sent out previously, I
>would imagine that machines B and C are something like the Dell 1850's I
>suggested, with RAID 1 and 73 GB available space on each.  Machine A
>could be ordered without hard disks, and loaded by one of us with SATA
>RAID and a bunch of disks.  A hardware SATA RAID controller for this
>box, like the 3Com Escalade would be good.  There are 4, 8, and 12 port
>options available for this card, so we can talk about which one would be
>best for us.

We're going to want to have a hardware support contract with our
colocation providers, since at this stage we can't afford to have our
own techs on hand 24/7 ready to go fix hardware problems.  For that
reason, I'm thinking that it will probably make the most sense to choose
our hardware in consultation with our provider and have them order and
install it.  We don't want to host any hardware that they wouldn't be
familiar with.  It's also likely that companies in this space get
discounts for bulk ordering.