[HCoop-Discuss] RFC-Ignorant and SpamAssassin

Franklin Gordon Bynum frank at frankbynum.com
Tue Dec 12 02:57:55 EST 2006

Recently here we've discussed the increase in false positives showing
up in our Spam folders.  My increase has been fairly dramatic in the
past two weeks.  I've been feeding the shared folders, as always, but
more and more personal messages sent from reputable ISPs (mostly
Yahoo) are being blocked.

I've analyzed the messages and found that the tags that almost always
wrongly kick messages over the 5.0 points mark are the "rfc-ignorant"
tags.  For those who aren't familiar with them, they are tags that
poll this "blacklist" of domains that don't maintain servers
complaint with certain RFCs, namely those directing to have an
abuse at domain account and a postmaster at doman account.

I find this database to do more harm than good, and would like some
of you to take a look at your false positives to see if you agree.
For example, all messages form Yahoo accounts-- the world's most
popular webmail system-- start right out of the gate with 3.5 points,
just a few key words or a missing real name away from going straight
to the spam folder.  I think that's unacceptable.  (Now, indeed it is
also unacceptable for Yahoo to not play nicely and I've submitted a
support ticket as surely many others have.)

Could we at least reduce the score for these lists?  Especially the
postmaster score that's outright excessive at 1.7.

I'll figure out how if people are interested in improving our spam
filter.  I sure am.

Frank