[HCoop-Discuss] Spam

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Tue Dec 5 01:09:33 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 20:48 -0800, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> Aaron Hsu wrote:
>
> > I get quite a few "false positives" daily that I catch inside my spam
> > folder. As such I don't always have the liberty of just deleting
> > what's in there.
>
> I hardly ever get any false positives (or at least, any false positives
> serious enough that I ever learn of them) with the HCoop SpamAssassin
> set-up.

I don't know how many false positives you get, but you lost my
discussion of a potential hard drive vendor because my email included a
URL blacklisted for unknown reasons by one of the URLBL contributor, as
far as I can tell, for no good reason.  Spam is not a solved problem, so
let's use common sense and obfuscate email addresses in our archives, as
I thought we were already, although admittedly rob at hcoop.net is not the
hardest address in the world to guess--oops, I just included it in the
message body, so he's sure to get even more spam.

Anyway, all that to say that it's important to use whitelists and to be
suspicious of blacklists if you don't want to lose important emails.
My own level of spam has risen from one or two a week to hundreds a day
in the past few months.  It is a real problem.