[HCoop-Discuss] Spam

Michael Olson mwolson at hcoop.net
Mon Dec 4 23:42:23 EST 2006

Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> writes:

> Michael Olson wrote:
>
>>We should configure mailman to obfuscate email addresses when viewing
>>the mailing list archives.  Most other mailing lists do so in order to
>>avoid spam being sent to individual posters.
>>

> Personally, I prefer to have direct links to poster's addresses in
> archives, and I like to give others the courtesy of providing such
> links to my addresses when possible.  Receiving spam is just such a
> non-problem today.

While this may be the norm for academic webpages, it is certainly not
the norm for a web-based public mailing list interface.  I think the
greater courtesy is to follow the standard and responsible behavior of
protecting our members email addresses when it is reasonable to do so.

Namely,

Via Gmane: do not protect, since Gmane already protects email
addresses from web crawlers for all of the online interfaces they
provide for the list.

Via any public web interface to our lists: do protect email addresses.

That said, to some extent, it is nearly impossible to use an email
account without setting spam filtering.  But that does not mean that
we should hasten the time when such filtering is necessary.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net