[Hcoop-discuss] Web passwords

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sun Oct 16 11:21:02 EDT 2005

Michael Potter wrote:
> The package libapache2-mod-auth-pam would continue to work even if the
> authentication scheme changed to LDAP in the future.  The main
> downside is the www-data user would have to be added to the shadow
> group, so anyone with access to run scripts could read the encryped
> passwords.

Actually, I hope that we aren't giving anyone access to run scripts as
www-data.  You shouldn't be able to run any general programs as any user
that you haven't explicitly requested permission to run as.  In general,
if anyone finds a way to do this, even if it seems benign, then I'd like
to hear about it. :-)

Given that, does libapache2-mod-auth-pam sound like a safe choice to
everyone?  The only problem I can think of is users serving /etc/shadow
as a static page, and I _believe_ that domtool's directory access
permissions (via .paths files), combined with Apache's configuration not
to follow symlinks, have been preventing this all along.