[Hcoop-discuss] Re: [Hcoop-announce] /var space problem fixed

ntk at hcoop.net ntk at hcoop.net
Thu Dec 15 11:06:49 EST 2005

> ntk at hcoop.net writes:
> I was going to recommend the logcheck package, but it's already
> installed.

Looks useful, but not sufficient for this purpose.
When /var is actually out of space, it's too late--mail is already being
dropped.  We want an alert before this point (and when /var is completely
full, the logger may not be able to write to logfiles anyway, since they
are under /var/log).  Also if daemons crash catastrophically they may not
log anything, and in the worst case where fyodor goes down altogether
clearly logcheck won't do any good.  So what I propose is:

1. Script on fyodor, to monitor disk space and that the proper daemons are
running.
2. Script on abu, to make sure that fyodor is up, and that mail and web
daemons are actually serving mail and webpages properly (because the
daemons may be running on fyodor, but unresponsive, or there may be
network or DNS problems).